"I am always doing what I cannot do yet in order to learn how to do it." Vincent
Van Gogh

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Boxes

What's in a box?  or more accurately, what is in that box?


I was just thinking that today as I stared at some unopened boxes in my garage wondering what I could possibly have left to unpack.  


The question hits me:  What could possibly be so important that I'd want to open that box if I can't remember what I put in there in the first place?


What if I just leave them there until curiosity finally gets the better of me?  What if I open it now and find I have no place to put what's in there?  What if I just handed it over to someone and said, "Good Luck?"  I wouldn't say God bless you because I could possibly have handed them a box of trash and what kind of testimony is that!


I must admit, I have had a lot of unopened boxes in my life.  Sometimes it is fear that has kept me from opening them, sometimes it is just plain laziness.  Should all boxes be opened?  What if it's Pandora's box?


Reminds me a little of the story of a man who was poor and down and out living in a broken down trailer.  This man hated God, loved to drink, and was wasting his life away.  When his grandmother passed away she left him an old Bible, which he placed high on a shelf to forget about.  
Years past and this man got more and more poor, but as he hit rock bottom he found himself calling out to God and giving his life to the Lord.  No longer a drunk but still very poor and soon to be kicked out of the hole that was his home, he gets his grandmother's Bible.  When he opens it he finds that his grandmother had placed $100 bill in between each and every page of the Bible.  I don't know about you, but that is a lot of money.


I am not sure if that is entirely how the story goes, but the ending is the same.  That Bible was an unopened box to that man, and I have found that whether there are blessings in a box, or curses, each box needs to be opened and the contents dealt with.

So, in the next two weeks I will go through all the boxes in my garage that are unopened, and I will deal with their contents, one at a time.


How many unopened boxes do you have?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story!

    About 14 years ago, I was going thru "stuff". There was a box. Unopened sitting on the shelf in a closet. I didn't write on the outside of it, so I knew it couldn't be anything we needed! I took it to the burn pile and lit it. I have to smile as I think back.

    All of a sudden, there was "bang!, bang! Bang! My neighbor was mowing. He took off running. Guess what was in the box.... bullets! I should have opened it!


    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for leaving a comment. I LOVE comments!