"I am always doing what I cannot do yet in order to learn how to do it." Vincent
Van Gogh

Thursday, January 7, 2010



When life gets hard, I have a tendency to want to escape it all. I'm not talking about escaping to the mountains or the beach, but escaping into my mind.






My mind has always been a very open expanse. It is amazing to me how closed some minds can be to the world of imagination, but my mind is not. My mind is full of rain forests, beaches, lands of fantasy, and rainstorms. I love rainstorms.




Ever since I was a small child whose life was more than a soap opera, I took the lands in my mind seriously. I could be anything I wanted to be in my mind.




As I've gotten older, though, I find myself still going back. It was not today though, that I had my moment of ah-ha, but rather a little while ago, when I realized that my mind was limited. So often we hear of the stories of fantasy and how reading can take us anywhere we want to go, but the truth is, that when you stay in your mind you can only go as far as your body. If your body is on a couch, your mind can go no further than the couch.




Imagination is a wonderful and powerful thing, but only when it is used within the real world. A child that dreams of being an astronaut cannot be an astronaut if that dream stays within his mind.




So I've learned, in my own personal walk, that rather than escaping into my mind, to bring my mind to the real world and allow it to change the world around me. To take my dreams and make them reality. I am not just talking about the dreams of a business, but rather designing my dreams in a bag or an ornament of jewelry. Rather than escaping into my mind, I am escaping into the real world. That is why most of what I make will be one of a kind, a thought, a passing dream, or an escape into life rather than from life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for leaving a comment. I LOVE comments!