"I am always doing what I cannot do yet in order to learn how to do it." Vincent
Van Gogh

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

As a 100%, sold out for God, Christian, one would think I take the whole notion of people saying "Happy Holidays" over "Merry Christmas" very seriously. In all honesty I don't. Allow me to explain.

When I was a younger Christian I got right on the back of the "Merry Christmas" movement. When a store wanted their employees to say Happy Holidays instead, I was right with every other church member going "Boo-Hoo," but thankfully, God began showing me that it is not anyone else's job to be telling me "Merry Christmas," but that it was actually my job.

I made a conscience decision to proclaim Christ when I became a Christian, but the world has no such notion of that. I find it rather foolish to expect those who don't proclaim Christ to proclaim Christmas as a season of Christ.

Also, I find no offense in someone saying "Happy Holidays" to me either. Hanukkah has been around long before Christmas, and Jesus Himself even celebrated that holiday. Kwanzaa, although having rocky beginnings, is a celebration of African heritage that many Christian African Americans celebrate alongside Christmas. Even after these more prominent Holidays, there are other celebrations that take place during the December month. When someone says "Happy Holidays" they're not saying, "I don't believe in Christmas," (though some may hold this view) I take it as, "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, etch."

If someone came up to me and said, "Happy Holidays," I'd simply say "Merry Christmas" back and would not be offended in any way with their "Happy Holidays." Why? Because it's my job to tell them about Christ, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for leaving a comment. I LOVE comments!